π️♀️ πͺπ️What are Conjunctions? π πͺπ️
Welcome π¦π§boys and girls. Today, we'll be exploring and learning about conjunctions. Read all given information carefully. Complete the tasks below.
What is a conjunction?
A conjunction is a word that joins two words, two phrases, or two sentences together. Think of it as the "glue" of the English language!
The Three Types of Conjunctions:
Coordinating Conjunctions: These join two equal parts of a sentence.
The FANBOYS: For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So.
Examples:
I like pizza and burgers. (Joins two words)
I wanted to go to the park, but it was raining. (Joins two sentences)
Subordinating Conjunctions: These join a less important (dependent) idea to a more important (main) idea. They often show time, reason, or condition.
Common ones: After, Although, Because, Before, If, Since, Unless, Until, When, While.
Examples:
I stayed home because I was sick. (Tells why)
When the bell rings, we will go to class. (Tells when)
If you study, you will pass the test. (Tells a condition)
Correlative Conjunctions: These are pairs of conjunctions that work together to join equal parts.
Common pairs: Both/and, Either/or, Neither/nor, Not only/but also.
Examples:
Both my mom and my dad are coming to the game.
We can have either pizza or pasta for dinner.
She is not only smart but also very kind.
Task1 : Choose the best conjunction to complete the sentence.
I wanted to go swimming, ______ it was too cold.
a) and
b) but
c) or
d) soHe was tired, ______ he went to bed early.
a) for
b) but
c) or
d) soYou can have ______ cake ______ ice cream for dessert.
a) both / and
b) either / or
c) neither / nor
d) not only / but alsoShe got a good grade ______ she studied hard.
a) because
b) although
c) before
d) unlessWe will play outside ______ the rain stops.
a) until
b) if
c) while
d) although______ do you want to eat, pizza ______ a burger?
a) Neither / nor
b) Both / and
c) Either / or
d) Not only / but alsoI like cats, ______ I don't like dogs.
a) or
b) so
c) yet
d) forWe should go home now, ______ our mom is waiting.
a) so
b) for
c) but
d) and______ she was tired, she finished her homework.
a) Because
b) If
c) Since
d) Although______ you finish your chores, you can't watch TV.
a) If
b) Unless
c) When
d) While
Fill in the Blank Questions
Fill in the blank with the best conjunction from the box. (You can use each word only once)
| but | or | if | unless | neither/nor | although |
|---|
I wanted to go to the party, ______ I had too much homework.
You can go ______ you finish your dinner first.
She likes ______ apples ______ oranges; she doesn't like fruit at all.
We can't play outside ______ it stops raining.
You can choose the blue pen ______ the red pen.
______ it was raining, we still went for a walk.
Comments
Post a Comment